OMG-10 Part 2: Considering Your Options
on July 19th, 2012 by IOD Incorporated
We have a few options for preparation:
- Do nothing – it’s easy and doesn’t take much planning. However, you will need to prepare for lots of chats with your CFO.
- Hire more coders – up to 20% long term. The likelihood of hiring additional coders is slim. Budgets are already tight and coders are in short supply.
- Agencies – may help you get you through the initial shock. However, agencies are probably not an affordable long-term solution. In addition, competition for agency resources will be fierce.
- Expect ICD-9 levels of productivity – good luck! The new diagnosis coding system is structured differently and contains procedure coding that is nothing like ICD-9. Plus, you have to contend with new documentation requirements and more physician queries.
- Plan “U” – unload abstraction burden : Getting Coders Back to Coding